Friday, March 18, 2011

Ah! Mr. Anderson...

Untitled, 2010
I don't really know how to describe the work of British painter Hurvin Anderson without sounding trite, pedestrian -or worse: like a teenage wannabe groupie at a Bieber concert.  Let's just say my first word upon viewing his paintings was, "wow".  Not a sharp, short, "wow" but rather a long drawn-out "wow" wherein I lost myself and traveled from the present to the far recess of my subconscious, lingering in the bliss of serene memory and mood.  At first glance I was reminded of Hopper. These paintings are haunting, silent -yet loaded with narrative.  And I don't think it needs to be said that I simply j'adore. (See? This is why I don't write for Art in America.)

Some People (Welcome Series) 2004
Vicky Lowry of Elle Decor writes, "...[Anderson] usually starts with a photograph which serves as a trigger for memory... and the ideas he wants to explore... including his sense of place in the world as a black man living in England and as an Englishman visiting the Islands." Whether creating a series dealing with a barbershop in his childhood hometown of Birmingham, England (Peter's Series) or illustrating the social complexities of Trinidad (Welcome Series), Mr. Anderson draws us into his world --which we immediately make our own.

Afrosheen (Peter's Series), 2009


I wanted to linger in this world of his creation a bit more. I only wish I could hang one of his paintings on my wall. 

If you would like to see more of what I j'adore take a peek at the Thomas Dane Gallery and the Saatchi Gallery. And if you see my husband would you remind him that I have a birthday coming up?

-Catherine

hat tip: ElleDecor April, 2011 ART SHOW: Hurvin Anderson by Vicky Lowry.

No comments:

Post a Comment