Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Little Kitchen That Could - Part IV

Well, the old cabinets (what there were of them) have been demolished and the old appliances and plumbing removed.  The floor was already on it’s way out thanks to water damage, and required very little effort to finish the job.  However, once the ‘decorative’ floor was up, we discovered more water damage that had caused the plywood sub-floor under the Washer and Refrigerator to de-laminate, decompose, and become host to a number of shiny black bugs that crunch when you step on them.

Pulling the cabinets down proved to be more effort than expected.  Instead of finding bare plaster, we found bare studs and tar paper.  Apparently, the original builder hung the cabinets from the studs, then plastered around them (in an effort to save a little money).  We were also granted a view into the attic (and it's abandoned Wasp nests), as he gave the ceiling the same treatment as the wall. 

In the photo, you can see that we have begun to install green board where necessary, as well as putting up drywall and mudding the ceiling.

If taking the cabinets down was problematic, removing the soffit was a nightmare.  Plaster gave way to chicken wire that was nailed to studs which were set 8” apart (the standard is 16”), and those studs were there to stay.  The original builder obviously believed that if 10 nails were good, 100 nails were better. 

My GC’s workmen were literally hanging from the soffit structures trying to rip them down.  It looked like some slapstick comedy routine that never got off the ground.  After sledges, crowbars and hammers failed them; they found success by sawing through the nails and pulling the soffits down.


The Dinette set used to live here.  It's soon to be the home of cabinetry
and the new range.  Outlets are a sign of things to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment